Schmidt’s Bergamot & Lime Natural Deodorant
“Neutralises odour and absorbs wetness. No aluminum. No proplene glycol. No artificial fragrance.”
This product is mentioned quite highly within the vegan and natural beauty community because it is vegan, cruelty free, and has fully natural ingredients. Admittedly, when I first saw the name of this product I immediately thought of New Girl and the insanely humorous character Schmidt. I had to laugh to myself for that one. I also misjudged this product at first as it has very similar packaging to the first ever natural deodorant that I tried and really did not like. However, all judgements aside, I took the plunge and bought it. In my opinion, this deodorant is the best natural deodorant that I have ever tried. Keep reading for the full review.
This deodorant is naturally scented with both Bergamot and Lime essential oils and doesn’t include any artificial fragrances. I love that about this product. I have found fragrances cause irritation especially on the fragile underarm skin. This naturally scented product smells so fresh and stays fresh all day. I find it a perfect smell for a deodorant, but the brand do offer a range of other scents too.
Ingredients & Texture
It brings me so much joy to know, or have heard of, every single ingredient written on the back of a product. This ingredients listed for this one include: Arrowroot Powder, Coconut Oil, Candelilla Wax, Shea Butter, Baking Soda, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Bergamot Essential Oil, Lime Essential Oil, Vitamin E sunflower derived.
The texture of this product is very gritty which is likely due to the baking soda. Some people, especially those with sensitive skin, can be allergic to baking soda so make sure you check this before purchasing. I am personally not allergic. However, I do find the gritty texture quite rough when the product is cold. The instructions recommend holding the product momentarily to skin to soften on contact with body heat.
UPDATE 28.06.2020: I used this product for years and loved it. Unfortunately over the last few months I have had to stop using as I have become sensitive to the bicarbonate soda which gives me an unbearable itchy rash.
Does it really work?
This natural deodorant claims to neutralise odour and absorb wetness and I would 100% agree. This is hands down the best natural deodorant that I have ever used. In fact, I would say it’s the best deodorant I have used ever. Bold claim. I would say that this product lasts on my armpits for around 6 hours, and I even used it in 80% humidity whilst in Ghana and it lasted amazingly. I didn’t have any unfortunate body odour smells creep up on me at any point either. As for absorbing wetness, I also agree. I didn’t suffer any damp armpits like I have with other natural deodorants and this product isn’t an unhealthy antiperspirant either; the ingredients just somehow work!
Why I love it
- The ingredients are all natural and I know what each of them are..
- The scent is very clean and fresh; perfect for a deodorant.
- Schmidt’s is vegan and cruelty free.
- The product isn’t slippery when applied and is gritty from the baking soda.
- It is affordable compared to other natural deodorants. This one is definitely worth the money in my opinion.
- I don’t suffer unbearably wet armpits when I use this product.
- It is easy to wash off which is such a bonus for me. I have found over the years that strong conventional deodorants can be a nightmare to remove.
- The stick application of this product makes it easy to apply compared to Black Chicken Remedies pot deodorant.
- The packaging is light weight and easy to travel with.
- The product can be drying on the skin. This is possibly due to the baking soda.
- Some people are allergic to bicarbonate soda.
- The texture is quite scratchy when the product is cold.
- It is more expensive than conventional deodorants.
I highly recommend this product. Many people presume that natural deodorants won’t work as well as what they’re used to and in some cases this is true. If you’ve been following my journey, you will know that finding the one for you is trial and error. Everybody’s body is different so everyone has different requirements. But if you suffer from being quite sweaty, this Schmidt’s option will be great for you.
If you have tried this product, please let me know your thoughts!